Because I needed to list the house for sale, I needed to finish up the projects that were not yet finished. The trim was one of those unfinished projects. This is a simple job, not requiring mitre cuts. I personally love simple clean lines so this style was not chosen for its ease (although it IS easy to do), but rather for its look!
Tip: DO NOT leave your finger in the way of the air nailer . . . like I did on one of the headers. OUCH! The subsequent tetanus shot hurt worse than the nail shot in my thumb. LOL
The guys who installed the flooring, when my parents still lived here, didn't do the greatest job. They left the existing trimboards on (which is common) but they didn't install the flooring up closely and evenly around the edges. Some gaps were so huge and jagged unevenly that a second trim had to be used to cover those gaps. I went with installing the 2" x .5" boards flat against the floor first and then putting the 6" x .5" boards vertically on top of those. But, I angled the bottom board away from the ends as shown in the picture below.
The window & door trim also left much to be desired, not only was it not real trim but the wainscoting was applied overtop! It was tongue & groove pieces . . . and a totally different style than the ones used to create the wainscotting. LOL.
It was a challenge to fix that mess. It required a lot of TLC to carefully remove some pieces so as not to destroy anymore than absolutely necessary. My Dremel came in super handy for cutting odd pieces (yes, whoever installed the tongue & groove originally, did not install it vertically plumb).