Before . . .
His walls were painted by the builder with Sherwin Williams paint in the colour "Bagel". He had a cheap old melamine oak-look bookcase and matching chest of drawers. The bookcase did get replaced about a year or so ago with a melamine espresso 6 cube organizer.His paternal grandparents got Logan a rough pine bed built. I had this rustic-look room in mind right from the start and didn't want an ordinary ready-made bed. He had a collage frame above the cubicles and a gun rack/cabinet above his chest of drawers upon which he hung his toy guns and antlers, etc. That was basically it.
After . . .
Come on in! I'll show you around!
I shopped on Kijiji for a quilt for his bed, as he only had a thick plush camo blanket that we used for a bedspread. Happily, I found a queen size reversible quilt that came with 2 shams, 2 lamps, and a couple decorative accessories for only $50!
I got that large wooden medallion at Target. It is the only thing I paid full price for and splurged on. I tried to come up with a different plan for that wall but kept coming back to the medallion so I showed Ryan it and he told me to go ahead and get it! Yay! It's PERFECT! (And yes, its centred on the wall, although in this picture it doesn't look that way. LOL)
The tree art I had bought a year or more ago at Home Sense and hadn't hung it anywhere yet.
The little bedside table on the right, I bought at Wicker Emporium during a big sale for only $39.99. It came with the baskets! The bedside table on the left is custom made by Grammie's Attic in Berry Mills. I thought I needed 3 of them for my living room and only needed 2 so this one was being stored in the basement going unused. I used Minwax Wood Conditioner (following the directions on the can) on it followed by 2 coats of Minwax Wood Stain in Ebony. I did the same for his bed, only with one coat of stain, instead of two.
I gave it a light sanding all over, then rolled on a coat of Stix primer. I just used cheap Dollarama roller & tray so I could throw them out after. I had to let that dry/cure overnight then I was able to give it a coat of Benjamin Moore Advance in Satin finish in a custom Deep Espresso colour. This being my second project using this paint, I decided to use a Wooster Velvet Flock mini roller instead of a brush and I LOVE the results!! Each coat of this paint has to be let dry overnight. I should have only needed to give it two coats but due to a stupid mistake I made on the top which required extra sanding, I ended up having to do a third coat. The drawer hardware is original, I just spray painted with Rustoleum bronze spray paint. The chest of drawers looks amazing!!! And, I have at least half a quart of paint leftover for another project!
So. To give you an idea of what a makeover like this costs, I will give you a full retail estimate. Keep in mind, though, I mostly used what I already had and most of the stuff I did buy, I got great discounts on.
Wall paint = $15
Wood conditioner & stain = $30
Spray paint = $10
Bedding, lamps, etc = $50
Medallion = $53
Chest of drawers = $40
Paint for chest of drawers = $26
Tree picture = $25
Buck head = $15
End Table = $40
Wood to make shelves = $20
Other craft and paint supplies = $20
Window blind = $130
Total = $474