Honestly, its my first big project refinishing with stain so it has its imperfections. But, I'm so very happy with the finished product anyway. Isn't it simply beautiful??!!
As you probably already know, my personal decorating style is 'rustic elegance' so I absolutely love how the stain brings out the blemishes in the wood!
Now, about the hardware. So. The hinges and knobs are the original hardware. I soaked them in vinegar and water to clean them up, and scrubbed them with an old toothbrush. Then, I spray painted them with Home Hardware's Beauti-Tone spray lacquer. This stuff goes on beautifully (yes, a cute pun) and looks just like brushed nickel. I didn't stop there, though, as my kitchen cabinets are all kind of antiqued. So, using regular black craft paint, I brushed that on with a sponge brush then using paper towel, I quickly brushed it back off. This left black paint in edges and 'smeared' everywhere else and actually was a good knock-off. I then used a clear coat to seal it well.
Originally, there was an old ugly backplate there, too, but before starting this whole project, I yanked them off and threw them out. I figured I could just patch the holes and stain over it and no one would be the wiser. Yeah, right. Those patched holes took the stain darker than the rest of the wood and therefore highlighted the old holes! LOL
So, many hours of online shopping for CHEAP but PRETTY backplates, I finally ordered these ones through my job at Benjamin Moore. They only came in brass so when they arrived, I lightly sanded them and then tried to do the antique thing like I had done on the knobs and hinges and no matter what I tried, it just wouldn't work. I think it was because the backplates are primarily a flat surface and the knobs and hinges had lots of curves.
So, I sanded them again and sprayed them with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze and then when they were completely dry, clear coated them. I decided to redo the hinges to match the backplates, but leave the knobs as is. I love how it all looks.
My little not-so-secret . . . I struggled big time trying to get the little nails in the backplates so I just left them not nailed. Who cares, right! LOL