Melamine Fireplace Make-over
I have looked and looked and I finally have to conclude that . . . I didn't get a 'before' picture! Shame on me! I'll have to just describe it.
Back in May, I bought an electric fireplace made out of that light wood coloured melamine off of Kijiji for $60. It can be used in a corner or flat against the wall. It worked fine, just looked cheap. But, I knew what I could do to it so I set to work.
First, I cleaned the fireplace thoroughly, and removed the doors & hardware. Then, I glued the fancy scrolls to the fronts of the doors and held them firmly while the glue set (I used fast drying glue). Finally, I primed everything with Stix. Stix primer enables you to paint just about anything! I always leave the primer to set for 24 hours.
Using the Wooster Red Feather roller (my favourite product for leaving the best finish), I rolled on the first coat of Advance paint. I used the Wooster Ultra Firm brush for the areas the roller couldn't reach and was very light with my brush strokes. Advance paint is self-leveling by nature but using the right equipment sure helps as well.
I find light colours require 3 coats of paint (leaving about 12 hours between coats at the minimum) as opposed to dark colours usually only needing 2 coats.
The hardware was gold so I spray painted it with Home Hardware's Beautitone Spray Lacquer in Silver Gloss (my favourite spray paint to give a brushed nickel look).
As with any of Benjamin Moore paints, you need to be careful with your surfaces for 2 weeks to a month as it fully cures.
Leave a Reply.