Our kitchen cabinets originally had a fancier style of crown moulding when my parents lived here. However, when we had to move the cabinets higher to accomodate our fridge and microwave/hood, that left a gap where we needed more crown moulding. #1, I wasn't fond of the fancier moulding look. #2, my husband & I are beginner DIY'ers and mitre cuts are on our 'dislike to do' list. This gave us the perfect excuse to ditch the existing moulding and start over.
I first was shopping only in the actual crown moulding section and did find a simple style I liked, got a good deal on it ($50) and brought it home. It was immediately apparent that 4+ inches was way too tall for our space so I took that moulding back. There wasn't any smaller moulding that fit my budget and style so I began looking at repurposing other materials.
Here are some of my design inspirations:
For tools, we used a compound saw and air nailer.